Benefits to Owning an Essential Oil Diffuser
Using an essential oil diffuser is a simple and effective way to experience the benefits of essential oils and aromatherapy. Essential oil diffusers disperse the essential oils into the air to be inhaled, infusing the room with a pleasant aroma and helping to create a calming or stimulating effect, depending on the oil used (for tips on selecting essential oils to use in your diffuser, see list of essential oils).
Using a diffuser is also an excellent way to benefit from essential oils that support respiratory function, particularly when experiencing illness. Inhalation is an easy way for essential oils to be absorbed by the body and diffusion is also thought to purify the air and reduce bacteria and fungus.
There are many different types of aromatherapy diffusers. The best recommended essential oil diffusers are ultrasonic; they’re quiet and don’t use heat. Vaporizing water is a process that usually requires heat, but ultrasonic essential oil diffusers achieve this through an adiabatic process which produces a cool mist. This is safer and preserves the potency of the essential oils.
Ultrasonic essential oil diffusers have a small ceramic disc which vibrates and creates ultrasonic waves that break the oil into microscopic particles. To use, simply fill the tank with water and a few drops of your favorite essential oil or oil blend and turn it on. The diffuser then releases a fine mist of essential oil and water into the air so that you can easily inhale.
Essential oils are thought to help to improve mood, reduce stress and anxiety, enhance concentration, support respiratory health, reduce airborne germs, and provide pleasant aromas. However, it’s important to diffuse essential oils with care.
There are several things to consider when selecting an essential oil diffuser – we’ve provided factors to consider below, along with tips for use and best results.
Place to Buy an Essential Oil Diffuser Online
Zenvea offers an assortment of top-quality ultrasonic essential oil diffusers, in a variety of colors and finishings, and at an affordable price point.
A few things to consider when choosing an essential oil diffuser:
- The size of the tank: If you want to run your diffuser overnight, for example to help with congestion and improve sleep when you have a cold, you need to make sure the tank will hold enough water to run through the night (use caution in the oil selection and concentration if diffusing for a long period of time).
- Ability to clean: The tank will need to be cleaned regularly and particularly when switching between oils. You’ll want to ensure this can be done simply and safely.
- Auto shut-off functions: For safety reasons, your diffuser should automatically shut-off when the water in the tank runs out. For further ease of use, choose a diffuser that offers a timer function and automatically shuts off after running for your preferred length of time.
- Additional features: Look for an essential oil diffuser that offers features like a remote control, or a built-in LED light to further promote a soothing atmosphere or function as a gentle night light.
Essential Oil Diffuser Tips
- Need help choosing an essential oil or blend to diffuse?
- Be sure to research and review the safety precautions associated with each essential oil that you diffuse.
- Be sure you are diffusing in a well-ventilated space. Essential oils are highly concentrated and should not be continuously diffused.
- Be aware of olfactory fatigue, a phenomenon where you essentially become accustomed to a scent and are no longer able to easily perceive it. Even if you stop smelling an essential oil as it’s being diffused, it is likely still being inhaled into your lungs.
- Refer to the instructions that come with your diffuser and do not exceed the amount of essential oil More essential oil doesn’t equal more benefits, and excessive concentration can be harmful.
- If diffusing around pets, be sure they aren’t confined strictly to the room in which you are diffusing and are able to leave the area. Some types of essential oils may not be safe for use around pets. For more information about safety, see the Zenvea essential oil guide.
- Diffusing in public spaces (such as offices) can be potentially risky. Different people may have sensitivities to particular scents and some essential oils can exacerbate medical conditions. Be sure to use essential oil etiquette when using them in the presence of others.
Not sure if diffusing is for you? Check out Zenvea’s essential oil accessories and essential oils uses for alternative ways to experience the benefits of essential oils.
Best Essential Oil Diffuser
Waterless Essential Oil Diffuser
Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser
Best Essential Oils for Diffuser
Best Smelling Essential Oils for Diffuser