(c) Can Stock Photo / Madeleine_Steinbach
Best Fennel Essential Oil
Known by its distinctive licorice flavor and aroma, fennel essential oil has been recognized for its ability to support respiratory function and improve digestion, and for its antiseptic properties. The essential oil can be used internally, topically, or via inhalation, and is frequently used in cooking.
The best fennel essential oil is captured by steam distillation of the seeds of the fennel plant, which is native to the Mediterranean. The earliest documented use of fennel was by the Romans, and it has been used for centuries for numerous medicinal applications including healing wounds, treating indigestion, supporting lactation, and suppressing appetite.
Fennel Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
- Eases indigestion, gas, stomach pain, and intestinal upset
- Adds strong, unique licorice flavor to cooking
- Has a stimulating, uplifting effect on anxiety and improves productivity
- Helps to heal wounds
- Supports respiratory function
Fennel essential oil is thought to reignite passion for life and encourage integrity and an improved sense of self through responsibility and ownership for life choices and an attuned connection between the body and the self.
Ways to Use Fennel Essential Oil
- Use internally to support digestion or to help suppress appetite by adding a drop or two to a glass of water (ensure the product you are using is certified for internal use)
- Apply topically to support digestion by combining with a carrier oil and massaging into abdomen
- Use in an essential oil diffuser to create an uplifting atmosphere and improve productivity
- Add a few drops to bathwater, or inhale deeply directly out of the bottle to ease anxiety and promote confidence and courage
- Use in cooking and baking to enhance a variety of dishes with an anise/licorice flavor and aroma
Constituents and Terpenes
Discontinue usage if experiencing headache, nausea or skin sensitivity after use. Keep out of reach of children. Dilute in a carrier oil before applying topically to minimize skin sensitivity. Consult your physician prior to use if pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care. Avoid contact with eyes. Test in an inconspicuous location before spraying on fabrics or surfaces.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.